Sunday, July 5, 2009


Location: Town Center in Newport
News, Virginia

As some of you know, my Family and I have spent the last four Independence Day weekends in Gloucester, VA with my In-laws. They are members of a private RV park down there, and we have a great time celebrating America's birthday with My Father-in-law, a fellow die hard patriot and disabled Veteran (and his wife, my Mother-in-law).

This year, I was determined to go to my 2nd Tea Party, since I had so much fun at the Tax Day Tea Party in Lancaster, PA. I found one of the 600 Nationwide Tea Parties near us here in Newport News. Bianca decided last minute that she wanted to go with me and see what all of the hub-bub was about. We arrived a few minutes late because of traffic and had a difficult time finding a parking spot. There were cars parked everywhere! We joined the rapidly growing crowd in a clearing near the fountain. There were about 150 people there, most of them holding signs with various slogans.

The group was a mixed lot. We saw a lady in a wheelchair who was around 92 years old with a sign that read: "Obama killed the Constitution because it was an inconvenience to him", a two year old with a sandwich board reading "Stop taxing my parents!" on one side, and "I'm 2 years old and already in debt." on the other, and multiple others of all ages. No they were not all rich, white people. There were Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, and Asians in the crowd. As well as Republicans, Conservatives, Independents, and yes even a few Democrats who had signs that read "I did not vote for THIS!".

All in all, it was a great time. Bianca really enjoyed herself and learned quite a bit. There was a ploiceman there as well. He learned something as well: not all demonstators and protests are loud abnoxious and vulgar. When the rally was over, there was not one scrap of trash on the ground, nothing was vandalized, and nobody had to be arrested, or even "talked to". I overheard the policeman saying that this was of of the most respectful protests he had ever witnessed.

Hurrah!! The next protest that we plan on attending (as a family) is Glen Beck's 912 Project protest in Washington, D.C. on 9/12/09. Maybe we'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment